Vijayawada Airport (VGA)
Located about 13.5 kilometers from the city of Vijayawada in the Gannavaram region, the Vijayawada Airport is a public domestic airport. It is a mid-sized airport that connects the Andhra Pradesh Capital Region to other destinations in the country. The Vijayawada Airport is spread over 500 acres and is surrounded by farmland.
During World War II, this airport served as an army base and was later converted into a civilian airport. Anticipating an increase in air traffic at this airport, the Airports Authority of India is developing additional infrastructure for the convenience of travelers.
Until 2011, the Vijayawada Airport had 2 daily flights operated by the now defunct Kingfisher Airlines. However, since early 2011 private airlines like Jet Airways, Spice Jet and Air India introduced daily flights to and from this airport. Regional airline Air Costa commenced operations in 2013 with the Vijayawada Airport as an operational hub.
With 6 weekly flights each between Vijayawada and Bengaluru, and Vijayawada and Hyderabad, these two sectors are the most popular from this airport. Flights are also operated between Vijayawada and cities like Delhi, Chennai, Coimbatore, Tirupati, and Mumbai.
The Vijayawada Airport has a single terminal spread over 850 square meters. The capacity of the terminal is 50 for arrivals and 100 for departures. The domestic terminal offers 9 check-ins and one security counter. Currently, there is only one boarding gate on the ground level.
City bus services that operate between Gannavaram to Vijayawada city are easily available at the airport. Travelers can also choose to use car rental services that are found at Vijayawada Airport.
Airport shuttle service to the bus stand (located 2.2 kilometers from the airport) is also available, allowing passengers to continue on their journey to other parts of the city or state using state buses. The railway station is at a distance of roughly 22 kilometers and travelers can either take a bus or taxi to continue traveling to other cities around the country.
Services and Facilities
Vijayawada Airport provides baggage services that include free trolleys and escorted trolleys for aged or physically challenged travelers. Additionally, free wheelchair and childcare room facilities are available at the Vijayawada Airport. If required, passengers can also use the medical inspection room and first aid room at the airport.
Things to Do
The departure lounge at the domestic terminal of the Vijayawada Airport has several snack bars to ensure you can enjoy a good meal before your flight. You can also pick up books or magazines from a book stall to keep yourself occupied during your flight. Ready-made garments are available at the Karlsburg store.
There are several hotels that are located within 20 kilometers from the Vijayawada Airport and most of them offer airport shuttle services too. Some of these include Hotel Lotus Green Park, Southern Grand, Midcity, Ilapuram, Continental Park, and Hotel Kosala. Luxury stay accommodations include Quality Hotel D V Manor Park, The Gateway Hotel, and Marg Krishnayya.
Tips for Fliers
This city has tropical weather conditions with hot summers and heavy monsoons. Average humidity is 78%, with annual average rainfall of 921.5 millimeters. Planning your trip accordingly will ensure that you can maximize your enjoyment while traveling to the city.
Some tourist attractions located close to the Vijayawada Airport are Kanaka Durga Temple, Lanco, Prakasam Barrage, VTPC, Bhavani Island, Rajiv Gandhi Park, and Gandhi Hills. Travelers can also visit Hanuman Temple, Agrigold Hailand, and Kondapalli Quila, which are about an hour from the airport. All of these locations also provide travelers with plenty of shopping options for local goods and memorabilia.
- What are the top airline brands that operate from Vijayawada airport frequently? The top airline brands that operate from Vijayawada airport frequently are – Air Costa, SpiceJet and Air India.
- What is the airport code for Vijayawada airport? The IATA code for the Vijayawada airport is VGA.
- What are the most frequent routes from Vijayawada airport? The most popular sectors from airport are Vijayawada to Bangalore with 88 weekly flights respectively.
- When does the first flight leave from Vijayawada airport? The first flight from Vijayawada to Bangalore is at 7:15 AM, which is Air Costa airline 666 followed by SpiceJet 3418 which leaves at 7:45 AM.
- When does the last flight leave from Vijayawada airport? Air India 468 to Bangalore is the last flight that departs from airport at 8:40 PM.
Top International Routes from Vijayawada
- Vijayawada Gaya Flights
- Vijayawada Ernakulam Flights
- Vijayawada Jaipur Flights
- Vijayawada Kadapa Flights
- Vijayawada Mumbai Flights
- Vijayawada Kolkata Flights
- Vijayawada Thiruvananthapuram Flights
- Vijayawada Bangalore Flights
- Vijayawada Hyderabad Flights
- Vijayawada Coimbatore Flights
- Vijayawada Dubai Flights
- Vijayawada Washington Flights
- Vijayawada Kathmandu Flights
- Vijayawada New York Flights
- Vijayawada New Delhi Flights
- Vijayawada Chennai Flights
- Vijayawada Visakhapatnam Flights
- Vijayawada Tirupati Flights
Top Domestic Flight Schedules
Top International Flight Schedules
Vijayawada Airport Details
- Vijayawada Airport
- "Airport Director